Christmas in May is a project for a global issues class at Kelvin High School. This project revolves around helping the participants of Touchstone who live with FASD (fetal alcohol spectrum disorder).
Imagine you only had 6$ to live on per day. That is the average budget of the participants of Touchstone, after they have paid for housing. FASD is a big problem in the world today, the people who live with FASD have a higher chance of living in poverty and therefore rely on food banks for essential groceries. Christmas time is one of the only times a year when they are the recipients of luxury items such as the ones listed below.
We know that this will not reduce poverty, but it does raise awareness for what living in poverty is like. This project is asking for your donations so that we can bring Christmas to them in May.
Date: May 5th 2016—June 8th 2016
Contact Times: 9:00am—5:00pm
Contact Number: 204-227-0340
Donation Address: 302-1200 Portage Ave
(Donations can be dropped off or contact us for pick up)
Wish List—Bold items are in high demand!
- Shavers soap (body, dish, laundry, softener)
- Brushes (hair, teeth)
- Toilet paper
- Canned food (ready to eat, easy to prepare)
- Meat (bacon, sausage, lunch meat)
- Sugar butter (normal and peanut)
- Condiments jam
- Powder drink mix (ex. ice tea)
- Can openers
- Disposable plates/cutlery
- Garbage bags
- Travel mugs
- Hair dye
- Bobby pins
- Gift cards (ex. Price Choppers, Tim Hortons, Walmart, Cineplex)
- Towels/ cloths
- Reusable bags (even backpacks)
- Bus tickets